It takes a lot of behind the scenes planning and heavy-lifting to make our farmers markets happen, and we couldn’t do it without the help of our dedicated volunteers and board members! If you’re someone who loves that Fulton, Kingfield, or Nokomis is ‘your’ market – or you shop all the markets! – consider pitching in and getting involved.
We need volunteers every market day for set-up, clean-up, and occasional special events. If you have more time to give beyond just on market days, our board of directors is looking for new recruits. These folks – currently 13 residents from across South Minneapolis – help set the direction of our Neighborhood Roots organization and further our mission of bringing neighbors together to buy, eat, and learn about local food. They participate in annual strategic planning, attend regular board meetings, and serve on one of four committees: Executive, Marketing, Development, or Operations. Specific skills that we’re currently looking for among new board members include backgrounds in fundraising, web development, or local food policy.
If you have any of these skills or others to share, we’d love to hear from you. A full position description is included below. For more information, to attend a meeting, and / or to get connected to current board members for any question you might have, get in touch with Neighborhood Roots’ Executive Director, Alex Cortes, at email@example.com
We will also be hosting “meet and greets” with board members at the markets on:
Fulton: Saturday, 8/20, 9am – 11am
Kingfield: Sunday, 8/28, 9:30am – 11am
Nokomis: Wednesday, 9/7, 6:30pm – 7:30pm
Can’t make these? Stop by the market information booth at any point to say hi.
Board Member Job Description.
The Neighborhood Roots Board of Directors is a working board of committed volunteers who regularly contribute their time at board and committee meetings and special events, handle organizational administration, and volunteering to support operations at the farmers markets. Board members are expected to contribute a minimum of 6 – 10 hours per month. Board members are expected to make an effort to regularly volunteer at the markets. Volunteering at the markets can consist of many activities, including physical set up and tear down, helping out with special activities, serving as greeters, talking and building relationships with vendors, filling in for staff, as needed, and general troubleshooting.
Regular expectations and duties include:
- Regularly attends board meetings, committee meetings, market events and related meetings.
- Makes serious commitment to participate actively in committee work; each board member is required to participate on at least one committee (executive, marketing, sponsorship/development and/or operations and events).
- Volunteers for and willingly accepts assignments and completes them thoroughly and on time, including regular participation at the markets.
- Stays informed about committee matters, prepares themselves well for meetings, and reviews and comments on minutes and reports.
- Gets to know other board members and committee members and builds a collegial working relationship that contributes to consensus.
- Is an active participant in the board’s annual evaluation and strategic planning efforts.
- Participates in some way in supporting fund raising for the organization.