We are now accepting applications for our Assistant Market Manager position! This is an excellent opportunity for folks who want to work outside, gain nonprofit management experience and support local farmers. Major responsibilities include market day operations and volunteer management, but there are opportunities to get involved in marketing, fundraising, program development, advocacy and more. At Neighborhood Roots, we strongly believe in people power and we are committed to helping our staff, board and volunteers with their personal and professional development. Details on this position are posted below. Share with your networks!
Position: Assistant Market Manager 2019 Fulton, Kingfield, & Nokomis Farmers Markets
Position Type: Seasonal/Part-time May through October 2019
Reports to: Market Manager
Application Requirements: Cover letter and resume
Due: Applications will be reviewed as they are received. Position posted 2/15/19; position closes 3/15/19.
Neighborhood Roots operates the Fulton, Kingfield, & Nokomis Farmers Markets in South Minneapolis. Our mission is to bring neighbors together to buy, eat, and learn about local food. We support local farmers, promote vibrant community and locally owned businesses, and effect important changes in food and agriculture policy.
Overview: The Assistant Market Manager assists with the day-to-day operations of the Neighborhood Roots farmers markets in order to serve its vendors, patrons, volunteers, sponsors, and affiliated mini-market partners. Neighborhood Roots oversees 3 community-based markets: Fulton, Kingfield, & Nokomis. Fulton and Kingfield are held every Saturday and Sunday from 8:30am – 1:00pm, May 18th – October 27th. Nokomis is held on Wednesdays from 4 – 8pm, June 12th – September 25th.
The position begins the week of May 6th and ends the week of October 28th, 2019.
This is a seasonal, part-time position with an average of 22 – 30 total available hours per week during the market season (May – October). The number of hours is closest to 30 hours per week when the Nokomis Market is in season (mid-June – end of September).
Working hours include time before, during, and after the hours the markets are open to the public, as well as additional administrative time during the week. Saturday & Sunday availability (6:45am – 2:30pm) and Wednesday availability (2:30pm – 9:15pm) are required, with some flexibility possible in the case of a shared position. Duties will consist of approximately 70% market-site staffing and 30% market administrative tasks.
– Manage market day volunteers
– Oversee activities at the market information booth during market hours including: offering high quality customer service and conducting SNAP-EBT, credit card, & merchandise sales
– Assist in physical market set-up and tear-down
– Provide on-site support to all vendors, patrons, musicians, artists, master gardener volunteers, and other community activity providers as needed
– Perform accounting related to the EBT / credit card token system used at the markets and affiliated mini-markets. Assist with related paperwork and tracking
– Support preparation and execution of special and weekly events including but not limited to demos, music, and family-friendly activities
– Create weekly e-newsletters, assist with the maintenance of other social media channels
– Ensure market supplies are kept well-stocked and organized
– Other reasonable duties as assigned to support the Market Director, Market Manager, and general market operations
– Able to adjust to changing conditions and priorities
– Strong ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced setting
– Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to establish and maintain strong relationships and provide high quality customer service
– Must be highly organized and detail-oriented
– Aptitude with numbers and basic counting, math skills
– Strong problem solving ability
– Able to accomplish tasks with limited direct supervision
– Able to effectively work with individuals from diverse backgrounds
– Must be able to routinely lift up to 50lbs
Flexible schedule must include Wednesdays, Saturdays and Sundays during the market season. The Assistant Market Manager may take up to 6 market days off during the season, in coordination with other staff
– Cash-handling experience
– Interest in sustainable agriculture, food justice and local food policy
– Experience working with volunteers
NR Assistant Manager Job Description 2019 PDF